Mr. Robinson's Virtual Classroom
Welcome to Mr. Robinson's Virtual Classroom!

To take full advantage of everything offered by the forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join the virtual classroom if you haven't yet.....

If you are a student, your log in name should be your first name, followed by your last initial and a period.

Example: Charles Darwin = Charles D.

Be sure you follow the Terms of Service.
Welcome to Mr. Robinson's Virtual Classroom!

To take full advantage of everything offered by the forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join the virtual classroom if you haven't yet.....

If you are a student, your log in name should be your first name, followed by your last initial and a period.

Example: Charles Darwin = Charles D.

Be sure you follow the Terms of Service.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Robinson
Admin
Mr. Robinson

Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) Empty
PostSubject: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 am

This review is to help assist you for your Unit 8 Take-Home Assessment.

This got up later than expected. That's what happens when:
  • Another teacher enters the room while I'm recording so I can't do it anymore.
  • I'm uploading the first segment that I did record that slowed my computer so I couldn't upload the last part till later.
  • You go directly from school to softball to a meeting.
  • Your computer battery dies while trying to merge and encode both files the first time, so you do it overnight.
It might not seem to matter though, since it appears nobody has logged in since then. Therefore, no excuses!  afro 

Please, please watch this video and fill out what you can on the back of R#3 for each standard. This and R#3 combined will be your best efforts to respond to most problems on the take-home test, though there is a possibility that other things embedded within the lecture notes can help you as well. Please ask questions as you have them!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb3BD34-UL-U5WHD5JVUAkg/videos
Valerie H.

PostSubject: Re: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 pm

did we ever go over tessellation in class ? Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robinson
Admin
Mr. Robinson

PostSubject: Re: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 am

Valerie H. wrote:
did we ever go over tessellation in class ? Rolling Eyes 

Nope! I can see why you might think that's "unfair" haha, but as the test says explains it, I think ya'll might be able to figure out what I'm going for.

Here's the question rephrased: If you wanted to make a tiled floor out of one regular polygon (from say equilateral triangle to regular decagon), which of them could you place on the floor, of the same size in any direction, and there wouldn't be any gaps or overlap?

So like, there are a lot of tessellations out there, but they'll just do whatever they want. Observe:

Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) SemiregularTessellations_700

While all of these are tessellations, I'm trying to find ones made by just one shape, not two shapes. I gave an example that squares can tessellate. What allows them to have no gaps/overlaps? What other single regular polygons will also not have any gaps/overlap, but more importantly... why is that true?

I'll forgive people if they don't really get what tessellations are still or what the question is asking, but I'll give more examples later of others that won't tessellate. I want to see if ya'll can figure out why though haha.
Back to top Go down
Tim H.

PostSubject: Re: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

I don't remember determining that the area of a regular polygon is equal to the apothem and perimeter.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robinson
Admin
Mr. Robinson

PostSubject: Re: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Tim H. wrote:
I don't remember determining that the area of a regular polygon is equal to the apothem and perimeter.

Did I put that on the test? Let me see what I said.

EDIT: I assume you're referring to this question:

6) How did we determine—as a class—that the area of a regular polygon is equivalent to half the product of the polygon’s apothem and perimeter?

You can find it in this lecture video (make sure you list it as a reference). Start about 20 minutes into it. Skip the regular octagon example:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)   Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles) Empty

Back to top Go down

Unit 8 Exam video review (Regular Polygons & Circles)
Page 1 of 1